Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Being eleven is hard.

On Sunday I read an essay by Hope Edelman in the New York Times.  It was about her daughter having to do a "flour sack baby" project for school.  Her daughter is the same age as Zoe, and this quote was a good reminder for me:
"Eleven-year-old girls occupy a notoriously wobbly zone between childhood and adolescence.  A mother who's an embarrassment in the morning can be someone to adore at dinner and a pariah again by bedtime.  Yet beneath this ambivalence, girls are desperate for reminders that we love them and always will, even as they're abruptly banishing us from their rooms."

3 comments:

  1. Megums...I was just browsing through your posts-about to write one myself and I noticed this. I love Hope Edelman. I just picked up her book again, after about ten years or more, "Motherless Daughters". I am amazed at how good it makes me feel to read her work. She truly gets people and life. I know she did a lot of research in writing her books. That is so cool that I saw this...her quote is a great one about teenage girls. I hope you get this comment in August on a post from last October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This a blast from your past.

      Delete
    2. Isn't it amazing that I happened upon this post 6 years later? Almost the same date even.

      Delete